Here’s the skinny: The in-person plant sale is back, but with a hybrid twist. The General Sale (details below) will take place on Saturday, April 15, but MEMBERS & VOLUNTEERS will have the opportunity to purchase plants in advance (online-only), on Saturday and Sunday, April 8 & 9.
It takes a whole host of enthusiastic volunteers to put on a great plant sale. In the immortal words of longtime SCNPS member and mainstay Judy Seeley, “If everyone does a little, no one does too much!”
And, no worries: You don’t have to be an expert, just ready and willing to help. It takes a village to make magic. Read on for all the details!
UPDATE as of March 29th:
Some of the areas where we still need the most help are:
- Equipment Transport (vehicles and people)
- Day-of-Sale Set-Up
- Traffic Direction/Management
- Front Entrance Staffing
- Checkout (Invoicers, Cashiers, Receipt Checkers)
- Day-of-Sale Breakdown
Pre-Sale: Saturday, April 1, 10-1 – FILLED
Pre-Sale: Monday and Tuesday, April 10 & 11, 9-4
Sale Setup: Friday, April 14, 2023, 8 am – 4 pm – FILLED
Sale: Saturday, April 15, 8:00 am – 1 pm
Breakdown: Saturday, April 15, 1 pm – 4 pm
Pre-Sale Orders: Saturday-Sunday, April 8 & 9 (Members & Volunteers) (Online ONLY)
Pickup at the Upstate Native Nursery (UNN), 180 Lakewood Dr., Mauldin, SC 29667, by Wednesday, April 12
General Sale: Saturday, April 15, 2023
Conestee Park, 840 Mauldin Road, Greenville, SC 29607. Gates Open 9 O’Clock! Gates Close 1 pm!
Just a few of the areas of expertise (or willingness to learn) that we’re seeking include:
- Got an in at a local paper or online newsletter? How about an Upstate-oriented podcast or radio program? Or, willing to distribute flyers to local businesses all over the Upstate? We can use your help!
- Please help us spread the word that we need volunteers. College students would be great helpers in the holding and loading areas!
- Have you got a strong back? Or a pickup truck? Or, even better, both? We need you! There’s a lot of physical labor involved in throwing this party. Tables and barricades need to be pulled out of storage, transported to the sale site and set up (and the reverse once the sale is over). The plants have to be moved from the SCNPS greenhouse and gardens to Conestee, and back again. (Not that there will be a single one left, of course!)
- Not really feeling the machismo? That’s okay, we need you, too! We’ll be marking chalk lines, laying out row markers, and setting up the cashier stations. And, during the sale, we’ll need folks staffing the holding and pickup areas, manning the cash registers, monitoring/directing the flow of traffic into and out of the sale, and helping to keep the arteries clear.
- Can’t be there for the whole day? We also need volunteers to help take inventory of the plants, both before the sale and after.
And It Wouldn’t be a Party…
- …without refreshments! Do you bake, cater, or know someone who does? We need to keep our volunteers fed, caffeinated, hydrated, and happy!
Have we Mentioned the PERK?
- Volunteers and members get first crack at the plants, during the presale, Saturday & Sunday, April 8th and 9th (online only). There’s a limit on what you can buy (because otherwise, we’d get wiped out before we opened!), but if you’ve got your heart set on a few special somethings, sign up today and be first in line!
For details about all the positions we need filled, click HERE.
Or, to dive right in and tell us how you can help, click HERE!
As much as we love our furry friends, only identified service dogs will be allowed inside the sale area. There is a dog park next to the upper parking lot where supervised dogs can play!
I am interested in helping/volunteering with the plant sale on 4/15. I am only able to help on the 15th and could help with any of the set up, organization, tear down, inventory, really open to hear what the biggest needs are and see what matches up with my skills.
Please let me know how I can help!
Hi Sara,There is a form for sign ups which can be found here: https://scnps.org/join-us-for-the-upstate-spring-plant-sale-volunteer. Also, you can contact the team coordinating the volunteers via email at: [email protected].
I just joined SCNPS and I’m so excited I found this org! Wondering how to place a pre-sale order for plants. i won’t be here the day of the plant sale but am hoping to order some and pick up on the 12th. I’m definitely interested in volunteering for future plant sales and please let me know if there is anything I can do remotely/online to help before then.
Heather, we are so happy to have you as a part of the group! Pre-sale orders will be received on Sat/Sun (April 8th and 9th), then pulled on Mon and Tues. All presale orders must be picked up at the Upstate Native Nursery no later than dusk on Wednesday, April 12th. The Pre-sales order forms are not ready yet, but will be live prior to Saturday.
Hello. Does the sale begin at 8 am or 9 am?
Hi Crystal. You can find all the information on the plant sale here (https://scnps.org/2023-spring-upstate-native-plant-sale). The sale starts at 9AM. We look forward to seeing you!