Enthusiastic NPS members are needed to put on a great plant sale. Our Motto: “If everyone does a little, no one does TOO much.” YOU have an opportunity for leadership! You don’t have to be an expert, just willing to organize one aspect of the sale and then make it happen.
Where: Conestee Nature Preserve, 840 Mauldin Rd., Greenville, SC 19607
When: April 1st – 2nd, 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
Here are the available opportunities:
- Volunteers Coordinator: Recruit volunteers, maintain list/database of volunteers, work with volunteers on day of sale. List of past volunteers will be provided.
- Guest Vendor Liaison: Recruit and work with guest vendors, provide colored plant price stakes, collect, and count price stakes at end of sale.
- Publicity Team: Create, print, and distribute flyers, press release and calendar listings and submit to local media. Post on local on-line calendars, arrange tv interviews, seek out new avenues of publicity.
- Special Projects: Identify and invite presenters/demonstrations to the sale. Obtain and sell special merchandise at the sale (fertilizers, seeds, tee shirts, etc.)
- Site Manager: Supervise site set-up Friday, April 1 and set-up and tear-down on Saturday.
- Plant Transport Coordinator: Find and organize people with trucks and other helpers to load and transport plants from the greenhouse to the sale site. Do the same to return left-over plants on Saturday afternoon.
- Nursery logistics: Keep vehicles and plants moving out of the nursery (on their way to the sale) in an organized manner.
- Plant pickup at the sale leader: Customers must present their paid receipt to pick up plants being held in the Holding area. This volunteer will be sure the area moves smoothly.
- Plant Sale Coordinator: Work with and coordinate the activities of the plant sale committee. Kathy Harrington
- Plant Ordering Team: Decide what plants are wanted for sale, locate suppliers and prices, order plants, arrange for delivery/pick-up of plants. Kay Stafford & Cathy McCurdy
- Plant Picture ID Cards: Create and have laminated any new picture ID cards needed. Cathy Bergin
- Plant Information Labels: Print labels to attach to each plant. Order supplies if needed. This job requires availability and flexibility two weeks before the sale. Kitty Putnam
- Equipment Transport: Pick-up and transport tables, canopies, signs, etc. from the storage unit and return them on Saturday. Requires a truck. Tom Simpson
- Gatekeeper/New Member Sign-up: Entrance times: 8:30-9am am for PAID MEMBERS only. 9am to 1pm for the general public. At entrance gate, check member IDs from a master list, sign-up new members on the spot, and actively solicit people to join the plant sale email notification list. Mary Margaret Dragoun
- Tally Up Leader: Add up plants that customers are ready to buy and create a receipt to take to the cashers. Keep customers organized and directed to the next available cashier. Nia Payne
- Hospitality: Buy, bake or recruit bakers for volunteer refreshments. Provide water and coffee on both Friday and Saturday. Purchase cups, napkins, etc. Diane Coiner
- Take plant inventory both pre- and post-sale: Coordinate an inventory of the plants on the ground late Friday and again immediately when the sale closes on Saturday. This requires at least two teams of two each on both Friday and Saturday. Susan Lochridge
Contact Kathy Harrington at email@example.com to volunteer or for more information.