Rudbeckia fulgida from Patricia, Alabama

Posted on |

I have this Rudbeckia someone gave me that is from South Carolina and was wondering if someone could tell me which variety it is.

Hi Patricia,

based on your picture I would call it Rudbeckia fulgida, also called black-eyed susan. It differs from Rudbeckia hirta by having fewer hairs, sometimes even appearing smooth. A commonly cultivated variety is var. sullivantii. It also grows in Alabama.


Dr. Steven Hill, Botanist, SCNPS

Comments are closed.