The South Carolina Native Plant Society in cooperation with other non-profit organizations as well as state and federal agencies is working hard to protect and restore our state’s natural habitats. Your help is needed in this important work! Your donations of time, talent and money are vital to the continued work of SCNPS… and we THANK YOU!
We have accomplished much over the years. In 2005 the Southern Regional Forester’s Award was given to members of the US Forest Service and to our own Bill Stringer for their work in restoring native grasses to national forest lands. This innovative program by a Federal agency and a non-profit environmental group stands as a model approach to solving a difficult problem. Forest Service leaders in several other states contacted USFS in South Carolina for guidance in starting similar programs in their states.
In addition, we have been involved in these important projects:
- In the summer and fall, we continue to collect native grass seeds and provide them to the U.S. Forest Service, so that the Service can line its roads in South Carolina with our native grasses;
- We have worked with the state parks and the Forest Service to relocate a trail at Oconee Station Falls, to protect the beautiful wild flowers contained in that special place;
- We have rescued thousands of native plants threatened by development and transplanted them to restoration sites and public parks;
- We have removed invasive species from a Heritage Trust site and from a Reedy River preserve, to protect and restore valuable native plant communities;
- We educate the public through plant sales, public meetings, newsletters, and press releases, to promote wise conservation practices;
- We are restoring native prairies in Oconee County and on the Reedy River to protect valuable plants and to educate the public;
- We are working to protect the Tyger River and the surrounding National Forest from a proposal to dam the river and cut down the forest.
We would like to do much more, but we need your help to do it. Please consider a special contribution, to expand this important work. Any amount will be appreciated!
Please fill out the donation form below. Thank you!