Upstate Nursery Fall 2020 Native Plant Sale
September 26 - November 7
The South Carolina Native Plant Society is committed to our core mission of educating the public about the essential role of our heritage native plants in the restoration of the Upstate’s ecosystem. The COVID-19 pandemic continues to threaten public health here in the Upstate; nevertheless, we remain determined to making SC native plants available to our membership and friends. We’re pleased to announce that our annual Fall Sale will be held at our Upstate Native Plant Nursery as it has in the past, with a few innovative twists.
Autumn is the best time of year to plant and this year we have a selection of over 4,000 native species, many of them difficult to find in commercial nurseries. This years collection includes shrubs, perennial wildflowers, vines, ferns, grasses and some trees. We have more native azaleas than we’ve ever offered in past Fall Sales as well as pollinator plants for butterflies and birds, and native plants that flower throughout the growing season.
WHY PLANT NATIVES?
If each of us restored even a portion of our property back to native plants, our combined efforts would improve water quality as well as increase habitat for wildlife. Native plants are increasingly desirable for the creation of ‘living landscapes’, making our residential and commercial properties part of a biological corridor by using native plants that evolved with local wildlife and which contribute meaningfully to the food webs that support them. These native plants are ideally adapted to our soils and climate and once established in an appropriate site, generally require less water and maintenance (e.g. fertilizer) than plants from other parts of the world.
TWO WAYS to shop and purchase plants this year:
- Shop online and pick-up your order at the Upstate Native Nursery.
- ONLINE ORDERING PROCESS:
- After browsing the ‘Native Plant Price List’ above, refer to the ‘CONTACT’ information below to place your order by e-mail.
- Follow the instrutions on the ‘Native Plant Price List’ to prepare your order and we recommend you include the Scientific Name for certainty of species as in some cases we have several different variants in stock. The same for size and quantity.
- Our Sales Team will receive your request, review available inventory, and respond by sending an estimate. Upon your response to the estimate, an invoice will be prepared using our SQUARE™ app with online payment instructions.
- Once your payment is received, your order will be scheduled for collection and you’ll be notified as to when and where you can pick up your plants.
- Make an appointment to shop our native plant collection in person.
- SHOPPING IN PERSON:
- If you’d prefer, a limited number of appointments may be made to visit our Upstate Native Nursery in person. Simply refer to the ‘CONTACT’ information below and let us know when you’d like to visit (a range of days/times is helpful) and how many will be in your party.
- We anticipate having multiple times each week during the sale period to accommodate visitors, and our Sales Team will respond with an appointment date/time within your specified time frame to the best of our ability.
- Upon your acceptance, your appointment will be confirmed and directions provided. One of our all-volunteer Sales Team will be on-hand to assist you and to process your order at the conclusion of your visit. We’ll accept cash (although no coinage), personal checks, debit and credit cards.
Your first step is to familiarize yourself with the available plants by downloading our SCNPS-Upstate 2020 Fall Native Plant List below.
If you need help cross-referencing a plant ‘common’ name over to a ‘scientific name’, you can use this handy cross-reference list.
Please note that the available quantities are not listed and will be subject to change as the sale period progresses, so we recommend acting early.
IMPORTANT SALE DATES:
Sunday, September 13th – Friday, September 25th the SCNPS-Upstate Native Nursery will be closed in preparation for the sale.
• Monday, September 21st begin processing electronic orders from the Website
• Saturday, September 26th begin curb-side pick-ups and shopping appointments
• Friday, October 31st cease accepting order via the Website
• Saturday, November 7th terminate the Fall Sale curb-side pick-up program
As always, we are offering early plant sale access to our active members. If you are currently a paid-up member of the South Carolina Native Plant Society (any chapter) your order submitted via the website link will begin processing on Monday, September 21st.
Please indicate your membership status on your order.
All other other orders will begin processing on Wednesday, September 23rd in the order they are received.
NOT A MEMBER?
You can RENEW your membership at: https://scnps.org/scnps-membership/renew-membership
You can JOIN online at: https://scnps.org/scnps-membership/join
During visits to the Upstate Native Nursery, our all-volunteer Sales Team will be wearing masks and observing social distancing, and we’ll ask that you do as well. Carts will be made available for moving your plants and you’ll handle the loading yourself to minimize contact.